Updated: Oct 9, 2020
Background about available Programmes
Working in the NDIS space, we are often approached by people who have health conditions and are under 65 but are ineligible for NDIS.
If you have gone through some surgeries or temporary impairment that is impacting your daily life and need some assistance, you are on the right page and this article explains exactly what you wish to read and the available assistance for your situation.
The Program that is available to you is called ComPacks SASH package/program. This is a low-level package of community services aimed at supporting you to remain independent and safe in your home. A ComPacks SASH package is available for up to 6 weeks at a time.
Eligibility for SASH Program
You are eligible for this program if you -
· are aged between 18 and 64 years of age, who have a functional impairment
· have applied, but are not eligible for the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)
· have no or limited informal supports
Referral pathway to SASH Program
Now there is an extra step here for you to access this package. Under the guidelines, it is stated that you must be referred to this package by your Local Health District community services. Staff who can refer you include –
· Occupational Therapist / Physiotherapist
· Social Workers
· Aged Care Assessment Teams
· Other Staff delegated by your local health district
Upon referral to the SASH package you will get a case manager and will be your key contact throughout the program. The case manager will work with you to understand your needs and arranging services that you require.
What services are provided through SASH Package?
The services you may receive includes -
· Meals – assistance with food preparation or links with meal services
· Domestic assistance – assistance with house cleaning, washing and shopping
· Personal care – assistance with bathing, dressing, or personal hygiene
· Respite care – in home respite
· Transport – to and from medical appointments
Costs with SASH Package? There will be contribution fee of no more than $10.00 per week. You can always discuss your concerns regarding this small contribution with your case manager.
After 6 weeks when SASH Finishes, what if I still need more assistance?
Before the ComPacks SASH package finishes, the Case Manager may:
· Refer you to ongoing services if appropriate.
· Provide you with information if you wish to engage services yourself at a later date.
Hypothetical Scenario –
Vanessa is 52 and lives alone. She has gone through a surgery on her shoulder recently, which affects her health and her mobility. There are times when she is in pain and finds it difficult to do household tasks.
The Physiotherapist from the Local Health District assisted Vanessa with some light exercises and referred her to the ComPacks SASH Program.
The ComPacks SASH Case Manager visited Vanessa to discuss what community services were needed to support her at home. It was agreed that Vanessa would need intermittent support with cleaning the house, preparing meals and transport to shopping.
After 6 weeks, Vanessa’s symptoms have settled and she no longer requires community supports through the program.
The Case Manager has linked Vanessa to a gentle exercise class one day per week
Contact Details for SASH help
Depending on the area you live in, you may have to ring the general number
1800 266 725 and speak to someone to refer you to the manager in charge for your location.
More detailed information is available from https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/ComPacks/Pages/information.aspx